I started taking all the mutts out and hooking them up on their runners. One by one. Go outside, hook up a dog, go back in..... listen to chaos.... go outside, hook up a dog, go back in.... more chaos... go back outside, hook up a dog...... wait ..... it's quiet out here!! I took a few minutes to look around, hear the sounds, see beyond what's in front of me. Birds, crickets, frogs, wind blowing through the trees and fireflies! Being a northern gal from the suburbs, we never saw fireflies never mind in such great numbers as I did that evening! They were just peaceful and beautiful. Every where I turned there were little blinks of light -- almost like being amongst fairies!
I ran inside grabbed a jar of pickles dumped them out in the garbage..... I hate pickles anyways... (plus I think they were already on their way out) I cleaned it out, poked some holes in the top with a screw driving and yelled for the kids.............
"Hey kids let's go catch fireflies!!"
This was followed by frantic running and screams of joy! (you'd think they just won the lotto!)
They were scared at first ... never have had the opportunity to do such a thing! I showed them how and they just caught on. One rested on Katie had for a few times blinking away. She was tickled pink and so excited. Her face was priceless. It was hard for me to take pictures outside as the sun was almost gone and my camera isn't the greatest. But I took some pictures once we brought the jar inside.
(Yes I brought bugs into my house!)
Seeing their smiles and watching them overcoming fear of the unknown was worth 1 bad day!

No comments:
Post a Comment